Sunday, June 28, 2009

Tree of Burning Dreams


Tree of Burning Dreams
By Michele Lee
Mixed media 8x10 wrapped canvas
copyright 2009


I've decided to paint in a little different style today. Searching my thoughts and mind for memories, I came up with the "Tree of Burning Dreams".

I had done a pouring on a blank canvas about a week ago and brought it with me to paint this week. As I sat down and looked at the background wash, I started to see the tree.

Years ago I took a trip to Turkey. There was one place I visited that had all of these large olive trees with little white ribbons tied on to them. I asked the guide what they were and she said, "Oh those are prayer ribbons". I found it fascinating that people from all over had hiked up these same hills and paths, said a prayer then tied a white ribbon to the trees. Ribbons were hung on branches low to the ground and way up high out of reach. They were all dancing in the breeze like a beautiful ballet.

I have also seen prayer flags in Asian countries. They are hung by string all over the place and actually have a prayer written on them.

I always wondered....what would happen if there was a fire? I am quite sure the prayer would stay but the little ribbons or flags would simply burn away. Sad.

So here is the Tree that came out of those memories.

Enjoy.

1 comment:

Angela said...

The fire looks like it is actually melting against the strength of the dreams/prayers. Very thought evoking, thanks Michele