Sunday, May 3, 2009

Rainy days and painting




Here lately I have been so busy with work that I have not gotten to paint. So last week I sat down at my easel and.....nothing. I tried again on Friday and .....nothing. Sat...nothing Sat night..YEAH! FINALLY!!


I can't stand it when my mind and body WANT to paint, but my soul is not there. Or maybe its my right brain. Whatever it is, it is frustrating! I feel like I am being split in two different directions. Frustration, anxiety, exhaustion and depression seem to creep in and try to take over. Then after a long pause, some meditation (per my sponsor) and some rest..it slowly starts to come back. First there is a "piddling" phase-sitting and just playing with color or painting the edges of some finished pieces. Second there is the "into-it" phase- finally finishing some pieces or working on some others. Finally will come the "crazed artist" phase (this one I like the best) - when the world seems to drop away and there is nothing but the paint and the desire. Fueling me like the rush of a powerful locomotive. I feel myself flying into the imaginary world of color and texture. The trips and turns as my mind races to catch up to my hands. Not taking a break for hours because I am so deeply lost in the process. The constant tick of the brush as it hits the side of the water jar. The jazzy music coming from the stereo, enveloping me like a silky soft robe. Ahhhhh I sooooo love this part of painting.


Maybe it is the addict in me that makes me so crazed...who knows.... But boy oh boy do I love it!


Here are a few I have worked on this morning. They still have a way to go. I guess I am in the "into-it" phase.


Enjoy!

2 comments:

Angela said...

Yeah, you're painting! I just love the narrative in the blog about the process. Let's me get a peek into your brain.

ArtistUnplugged said...

Very nice. I can identify with the depression....I'm a bit in the throes of it now, working on it though as best as I can. Keep up the good work!