Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Romancing the Canvas




I learned a lesson a while back from my good friend Angie over at Pick My Brains Art http://pickmybrainsart.blogspot.com/
She taught me to "romance the canvas". This is a time when I put my canvas on the easel, face it so that I pass by and see it every day, stop and look here and there, pray and wait for the vision to appear. I carry a sketch book with me where ever I go. So during the romancing stage, and whenever I get a still moment, I put my thoughts to pen and paper either doodling, drawing or writing down what I feel. This book is full of daily inspirations. When the time has come and I can feel that the time is right, I start to paint.
So here is a picture of a canvas I have on the easel now. It is the same size as the commission piece I am still working on. So while I paint on that one I take time to glance over my shoulder at the blank one and give it a little wink. :) I think I already have a vision for this one....but we will have to wait and see if it comes to fruition.
So take time to "romance YOUR canvas". It might be an actual canvas or it might be something in your life that you need to ponder, decide or just slowly take your time with. In the end, it always pays to take your time. There's really no rush.
Enjoy!
(Update: A vision is starting to come to life)

3 comments:

Don said...

From reading this post I’m led to think that being a painting artist is a spiritual experience as much if not more than anything else.

Michele Lee said...

Thank you for noticing Don :) You are sooo right...it is a spiritual experience every time I paint.
Happy New Year!

Don said...

It’s comforting to be right at least at times. There’s an old saying that even a blind hog can occasionally find an acorn. :-)