Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Her Legacy


Her Legacy
By Michele Lee
38"x48" Acrylic on gallery wrapped canvas
Copyright 2010

I have been working on a commission for a beautiful woman named Daphne. It has taken lots of prayers, but it is almost done. I didn't want to post it until she had a chance to see it. Well, she saw it the other day, was very pleased, and I can now share it with you all. It is titled "Her Legacy". It is a representation of her as an older woman getting ready to leave this world. She is passing her key onto the ones she loves. The key is engraved with African symbols that represent the meanings of her journey here on earth. The fabric and colors represent her heritage. And the circular shaped stones hanging from her waist, represent wealth and good fortune.
I have to say, this painting has been so inspiring. Whenever I get stuck on a painting, I like to ask God to help and guide me. All I kept hearing was, "You hold the brush and let me give her....her" And so I did. The next day I found a wonderful photo to reference the pose and away we went. Pouring the paint onto the canvas, I knew it was right. You know when you just feel that gut feeling in the pit of your soul that something is flowing and going in the right direction? That's it.
I still have a little more tweeking to do.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

wow, this is excellent, it goes along with the story I am working on. More will be revealed !

ArtistUnplugged said...

Hey Michele! What a profound piece! Wonderful to hear the meaning behind the elements. Just lovely. About to get my work to the show this week, if you have another zentangle you want, send over the information so I can start pondering images in my head....heaven knows there is plenty of room in there!!!! Have a great Sunday!