Sunday, April 5, 2009

Why Autism?



Why Autism is the question I ask. Searching for ,here and there, a charity or cause to give a little something back, I find myself being drawn to Autism. It seems in the past few months that my business keeps getting opportunities for this cause. I guess that it is God's way of finding something for me that I cannot find for myself.


My best friend has been the key in opening my eyes to this beautiful world. Her son has Autism and I have seen her, so strongly, be there for him and her family. She has given her life to make sure that he has every opportunity to grow. And boy has he grown! I am amazed when I see the interaction he has with others and how he has come so very far.


So since this month is Autism Awareness month, I thought you all might like to open your eyes to a world that so many suffer from, but we still don't know about fully. My friend Leigh will be posting different things about the real world of Autism behind the facts.


Here is her first post below...Enjoy!


Fence Postings




April - Autism Awareness Month
Posted on April 5, 2009 by Shiny Things
April is Autism Awareness Month
Rather than throw dry statistics at you, I thought since I have a part in this particular drama, I’d share some real experience from behind the statistics. The life experiences that make the facts maybe a bit more tangible, if you will. Maybe random posts throughout the month, each with its own “fact”?
But where to start?
How about putting a face on the statistic?


4 comments:

Carol ReMarks said...

WOW. You know what I just did? I went back through all of your archives (because I was looking for one particular post to link to) and what a wonderful trip down memory lane. When you have time, you should look back through all of your old posts and see how far you've come and all the good that you did and all the cool stuff you got to do. What a wonderful life you have. I'm impressed how consistently you live an exciting life.

Don said...

I would advise all Alabamians, as well as others who are concerned about autism to get in touch with Alabama Representative Cam Ward who has a child who suffers from autism and who has introduced legislation to help deal with this issue. You can go to http://www.legislature.state.al.us/house/representatives/housebios/hd049.html to learn more about him and how to contact him.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Shelly!
You're the best :)

And thanks Don for leaving that comment! I'll try and copy/paste it over into Fencepostings so others who read it will know :)

Michele Lee said...

You guys are way tooo nice. I really appreciate all the comments. :-)
blessings,M